I grew up as a dancer and performer, so I am very much at home in front of a crowd. I love to design presentations for non-scientific audiences that really strike a chord about the meaning of biology. It’s the greatest compliment to hear “you really made me think” or “I really learned something from you”.
Profile at National Speakers Bureau
Other live appearances
- September 18 2018 – Keynote Speaker at Et Al III: The Ultimate Bar Science Night at the Rio Theatre in Vancouver
- May 2018 – Host at G9 NewFronts by the Interactive Advertising Bureau (IAB)
- March 2018 – Keynote speaker at the Amgen Biotech Summit 2018, Mexico
- March 2018 – Host and explorer with Taxon Expeditions (Maliau Basin, Borneo, Durmitor, Montenegro and Brunei, Malasyia).
- April 2018 – Guest scientist and collaborator with International Flavors and Fragrances on a new scent, reflective of sexually deceptive orchids, New York, New York.
- February 2018 – Host at the NPR radio and TV special on love and evolution TTNOT in Madison, WI
- September 2017 – Host and explorer with Taxon Expeditions (Maliau Basin, Borneo, 6 new species discovered)
- August 2017 – Participant at Sci-Foo Camp (Google, Mountain View CA)
- April 2017 – Participant in the Human Library initiative at the University of the Fraser Valley
- February 26 2017 – Featured expert on ‘To the Best of Our Knowledge” (NPR), live event, TV broadcast and National radio broadcast. Madison, Wisconsin.
- September 23 2016 – Host and speaker at TEDx Salon, Manhattan
- September 22 2016 – Lecture and book signing at GenSpace (New York)
- September 21 2016 – Guest lecture at NYU School of Journalism.
- September 20 2016 – Performer at The Story Collider (Brooklyn)
- September 12 2016 – NSBest Speaker – National Speakers Bureau of Canada.
- February – March 2017 – Several appearances at local elementary schools in Chilliwack (District 44) on ecosystem biology (preschool – grade 6)
- November 26, 2015 – The Nature of Sex, guest lecture, UFV.
- October 28 2015 – Performer at ‘Discovery News After Dark’, San Francisco.
- October 7 2015 – Presenter of the annual Deans Lecture in Science, Ryerson University, Toronto.
- September 23 2015 – Keynote Speaker at the Max Planck Institute for Ornithology and the University of Konstanz, at the 6th annual student research symposium, Seewiesen, Germany.
- October 2014 – Speaker at the Wildscreen Awards, part of the WildScreen Film Festival, Bristol, UK.
- August 2014 – Wild Sex Lecture Series, sold out performances in Adelaide, Canberra and Hobart, Australia (Australian National Science Week)
- August 2014 – Space Oddity Shows with Commander Chris Hadfield, sold out performances in Sydney and Canberra, Australia (Australian National Science Week)
- April 2014 – Guest lecturer at First Unitarian Church of Toronto, Our Whole Lives sexuality education curriculum.
- March 2014 – Presenter at the Let’s Talk Science symposium at the University of British Columbia.
- December 2013 – Presenter at the World Congress of Factual and Science Producers, Montreal, Canada.
- October 2013 – Speaker at ‘I F*$king Love Science Live’ Toronto, Canada.
- October 2013 – Speaker at the Space and Science Expo, Tucson, Arizona.
- August 2013 – Speaker at ‘I F*$king Love Science Live’ Sydney, Australia (Australian National Science Week).
- June 2013 – Speaker at TED Global in Edinburgh, Scotland.
- January 2013 – Speaker at the Science Online annual meeting, Raleigh, North Carolina.
- April 2012 – Presented the annual Lee Hellman Lecture in the Life Sciences, University of Maryland, College Park campus– Biology in Your Life, and Mine!
- October 2012 – Speaker at the Space and Science Expo, Tucson, Arizona – Biology in Space.